Friday, February 15, 2013

SUMMARY OF TRAINING



We started the five week long training on internet on Monday Feb 11, 2013 and as per invitation letter; I hoped to improve my skills in using it so that I may better my daily undertakings.

Today, Feb 15, as we close down the training I’m satisfied that I have increased my knowledge and skills in using the internet and thus my daily activities, whenever I need to search for materials using internet will be a bit easier. Not only searching for materials but other things like paying tickets.

Previously, I used long and cumbersome ways to search for materials using internet but from this training searching for materials, facts and backgrounds will be very simple thing. In fact the training has made me to think of writing more researched features because searching for materials is no longer a torture!

In short I have learned how one can make an internet page to be his/her home page, to make a list of desirable pages, and short steps of searching for materials. This include the use of search tools and advance search tool, apart from better way of writing key words when you you start go-ogling.

Our trainer, Mr Peik Johansson, has given us a list of important web sites when searching for materials which are all important for journalists.

In fact the training has been so enjoyable although I missed it one day. The trainer was always good, entertaining and helpful; food served during the training was always delicious and even the room of training is also good. My colleague trainees are also humble and friendly.

What I may recommend is the improvement of the computers in the room we were using. It seems are slow and need to be improved or they are about to reach the end of their lifespan.  

I will use the knowledge and skills I acquired in this training to help my colleagues in the news room, starting from this coming Monday. I will also be bold whenever I find plagiarism in stories and features we daily publish in our lovely paper, HabariLeo. In fact we were supposed to pay for this training due to its important as journalists or trainers although in the opposite we were being paid. Thanks for the organizers, MISA-TAN and VIKES.

Here is the list of some of the important websites

Useful Media Websites

  • Reuters
  • IPS Inter Press Service
  • IRIN (humanitarian news) Funded by UN
  • Bunge (Parliamentary)
  • BBC
  • DW
  • VOA
  • RFI
  • aLLAfrica
  • M&G the Mail &Guardian (SA)
  • The Guardian
  • (Highway Africa)
  • Africa (The good story)
  • Hiiraan Online (Somalia)
  • Pambazuka News (friends of Fahamu)
  • African Election Database
  • Failed Features (daily dispatch)
  • Africa Literature and writers in Internet (hundred of links)
  • African Studies (Columbia University)
  • AJOL  (African Journalists Online (African Scientific Journalists)
  • Greetings in more tan 2500 languages
  • She blossoms
  • Savy Kenya
  • Qilma
  • Kawiria Snippets
  • Blessed, amusing and genius
  • Plagiarism.org
  • Project Gutenberg  (Gutenberg.org)










  




No comments:

Post a Comment